Dr Eriko Uematsu is an Associate Professor at Musashinogakuin University. Her research efforts and implementation of media literacy in education stem from her experience teaching at the junior- and senior-high school levels.
In 2003, she was an online lecturer on media literacy in the MELL Project (Tokyo University of Information) via MTV (Media Teachers Village). Dr Uematsu obtained a PhD degree in Education from Niigata University and lectures there on a part-time basis. She is a research fellow at the Graduate School of Modern Society and Culture, a member of AMILEC (Asia Pacific Media Information Literacy Education Center), an advisor for the Japan Society of Digital Textbook, and a visiting research fellow at the International University of Japan (GLOCOM).
In 2004, she presented her research entitled, A Guide and Study of the New ‘Keitai’ (=mobile) Literacy for the Next Generation, at the 2004 International Academy for the New Generation. In the same year, she did a presentation on her research paper, Media Literacy Education in Japanese Language Textbooks, at the Educational Media in Schools summit. Dr Uematsu’s goal is to construct a new form of education that is in sync with today’s continually evolving information-oriented society and makes best use of new technologies.
- K12 IT Education in Japan: Current Status and Future Directions, The 23rd IFIP World Computer Congress, IT Education Forum (K-12), Yasushi Kuno, Ben Tsutom Wada, Yasuichi Nakayama, Takeo Tatsumi, Eriko Uematsu, pp. 37-44, 2015.
- ICT Education in Media Literacy Education, Eriko Uematsu, The Journal of Information Processing Society of Japan, pp. 322-326, 2015.
- Digital Age of Media Literacy Education: fusion of junior and senior high school students of media experience and the lessons, Rene Hobbes, Translation: Masato Wada, Yosuke Morimoto, Eriko Uematsu, etc., 2015.
- Frontline Education Trend with Digital Tablet, Eriko Uematsu, The journal of the Institute of Electronics, Information and Communication Engineers, Vol. 97, No. 9, pp. 812-816, 2014.
- ICT Education in Korea, Eriko Uematsu, Education and Medicine, Keio University Press Inc. Vol. 735, pp. 82-89, 2014.
- Smartphone Spread Change of Literacy by the Education, Uematsu Eriko, “Youth Problem” Study Group, Vol. 653, pp. 16-21, 2014.
- Media and Information Literacy Curriculum for Teachers, Masato Wada, Eriko Uematsu, Yosuke Morimoto, etc. UNESCO (translation), 2014.
- Understanding Keitai Society: Mobile Communication and Society, Eriko Uematsu, 2012.
- Keitai Novel Literacy, Eriko Uematsu, International Clearinghouse on Children, Youth and Media: Nordicom, (Media & Information Literacy Clearinghouse) 2012.
- History, Policy and Practices of Media Education in South Korea in Mapping Media Education Policies in the World, Hyeon-Seon Jeong, Jung-Im Ahn, Ki-tai Kim, Gyongran Jeon, Youn Ha Cho, Yang-Eun Kim, Translation: Eriko Uematsu, Divina Frau-Meigs and Jordi Torrent (eds.), The United Nations-Alliance of Civilizations, New York (UNAOC), 2012.
- Analyzing Survey Results for Media Usage of Japanese High School Students, Eriko Uematsu, Asia-Pacific Collaborative Education Journal, 2011.
- Reading is Changing: Understanding New Literacies, Eriko Uematsu, 2010.
- Reading is Changing: Understanding New Literacies, Hyeon-Seon Jeong, Jung-Im Ahn, Eriko Uematsu, etc., Literacy and Practices of Media Education in South Korea in Mapping Media Education Policies in the World (translation) 2012. Divina Frau-Meigs and Jordi Torrent (eds.), The United Nations-Alliance of Civilizations, New York (UNAOC) 2010.
Congresses and Societies
Eriko Uematsu is a member of:
- The Japan Society of Information and Communication Research
- The Information Processing Society of Japan
- The Institute of Electronics, Information and Communication Engineers
- The Society of Mobile Interactions
- The Japan Association for Communication, Information and Society